Leading School Strategy & Innovation
School leaders are responsible for setting the vision and goals and aligning strategy and resources to drive improvement in their schools, while navigating an increasingly challenging school environment.
Offered as a course within the Certificate in School Management and Leadership (CSML), Leading School Strategy and Innovation is designed to equip school leaders with the skills they need to identify existing challenges, incorporate and support innovation, and take a strategic problem-solving approach to planning and driving school improvement.
Leading School Strategy and Innovation participants will:
- Define school goals, identify gaps between current and desired performance, and diagnose root causes of those gaps.
- Learn how to refine the school vision and goals to engage teachers and staff and guide the implementation of changes to improve performance.
- Explore the organizational building blocks of schools and understand how they work together as an inter-related system.
- Drive improvement by generating greater alignment between the school’s strategy, its organizational building blocks, and its resources.
- Distinguish between continuous improvement and innovation, identify when innovation is needed and how to create a safe space for innovation to take place.
- Develop, implement, and sustain a strategic school transformation process
Course Syllabus & Calendar
View modules and deadlines for upcoming editions of this course. The syllabus and calendars are downloadable.
Mary Grassa O'Neill, CSML Faculty Co-Chair, Senior Lecturer on Education; Faculty Director, School Leadership, HGSE
Monique Burns Thompson, CSML Faculty Co-Chair, Senior Lecturer of Business Administration, HBS
Allen Grossman, CSML Faculty Co-Chair (Emeritus), Senior Fellow, HBS
Pamela Mason, Senior Lecturer on Education, Faculty Director, Language and Literacy, HGSE
Mike Tushman, Baker Foundation Professor, Paul R. Lawrence MBA Class of 1942 Professor of Business Administration, Emeritus, Charles B. (Tex) Thornton Chair of the Advanced Management Program, HBS
The course also features engaging case studies of the following practitioners:
- Aisha Thomas, Principal, Zach Elementary School, Fort Collins, CO
- Brendan Kennealey, President, Salesianum School, Wilmington, DE
- Melissa Pizano-Grunnet, Principal, Martin Van Buren Elementary School, Indio, CA
- Janet Moss, Principal, Coulwood STEM Academy, Charlotte, NC
- Tomer Zvulun, CEO, The Atlanta Opera, Atlanta, GA
|World-class Harvard faculty research adapted to the PreK-12 school context|
|100% online and interactive|
|Features case studies of leaders from a diverse cross-section of schools and businesses from across the country|
|Global peer network of school leaders|
|Develop a toolkit and solutions that are tailored to improving your school|
Learn more about our transformative learning experience for PreK-12 school leaders.